WIG Events and Programmes: guidance in line with COVID-19 developments in the UK
The text below is based on the information available to us at the moment. We will continue to update it as the situation evolves and as we receive new information. Latest update: 1 April 2020.
In common with all other organisations, The Whitehall & Industry Group (WIG) is closely monitoring developments relating to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak and will continue to follow official government guidelines for employers and businesses in relation to it. These can be viewed in full here. We have endeavoured to address some of the frequently asked questions about how this directly impacts WIG events and activities below.
In summary, our stance on this is:
- The health & safety of our colleagues and customers is our top priority;
- This is a developing situation, with official advice being updated constantly; we recommend that you follow advice on these official channels: NHS advice; gov.uk advice; Public Health England advice;
- We have moved the majority of our events and activities online to abide by the latest guidelines, but also to continue supporting you remotely in staying informed and connected;
- We are extremely grateful for your understanding in those cases where we may have had to cancel events and gatherings at short notice;
- We will resume these activities as soon as it is safe to do so, but in the meantime, please check our extensive virtual events and webinars offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are WIG events and programmes going to be cancelled because of the COVID-19 situation?
At present, WIG is monitoring the situation and is following official government policy for businesses on how to act in these changing circumstances. The official advice is outlined here. We have reviewed how best to deliver our programme of events and leadership development opportunities in these uncertain times. Our focus is on our members and delegates continuing to enjoy the benefit of the content and networks created, while keeping themselves and others safe.
With this in mind, we have developed a comprehensive programme of virtual events and webinars. We add new content regularly, so please check the latest virtual opportunities to learn and connect here.
How can I make sure I am notified by any changes in your programmes and events?
Should we require to cancel any of our events, activities and development programmes, we will notify attendees as early as possible. We will do this via the means that you have given us permission to contact you by, be that email, text or phone call.
To ensure you get the most up-to-date information in a timely manner, we advise you to always check your emails before planning your attendance at an event or programme, and we highly recommend that when prompted, you provide us with your mobile number, which we will only use in case of emergencies and last-minute cancellations.
You may also find it helpful to log in to your WIG website account here and check that we have your most up to date contact details. Please also ensure that you whitelist the wig.co.uk domain with your email provider, to ensure that our emails get through to you.
Can I claim back any expenses/costs if I can no longer attend a programme/event?
If you are unable to attend one of our paid-for activities (such as development seminars, leadership programmes and paid-for events) due to your own circumstances (sickness, quarantine, company ban on external event attendance etc.), our cancellation policy applies – you can read this here.
If you are unable to attend one of our free or paid-for events or activities because of your personal circumstances, but have made travel arrangements for which you have incurred a cost, WIG is not liable to refund your expenses on that front and we advise you to take this up with your organisation to claim against their/your insurance.
Can I claim back any expenses/costs if the event/programme is cancelled by WIG?
For any paid-for event, seminar or programme cancelled under unforeseen circumstances by WIG, we will honour the conditions of our cancellation policy. You can read our cancellation policy here.
Who should I get in touch with at WIG if I have a question or concern about an event, a programme or an activity?
If you or others in your organisation are meant to participate in a WIG event, development programme, secondment or any other activity, but have concerns about it in light of the COVID-19 developments in the UK, you can get in touch with our respective teams:
- For WIG events, briefings, conferences, please reach out to the team at [email protected]
- For WIG development opportunities such as leadership programmes or one-day development seminars, reach out to the team on [email protected]
- For WIG secondments, mentoring meetings, NED and Trustee roles, get in touch with the team on [email protected]
- For anything else, please call us on 02072221166. The lines are manned between 8.30 am and 5.30 pm, Monday to Friday.