Event & Content Executive, The Whitehall & Industry Group
The Whitehall & Industry Group (WIG), a registered charity, is an independent, not-for-profit corporate membership organisation. Our philosophy is underpinned by our values: Creative, Open-minded and Trusted.
Our charitable purpose of promoting mutual understanding between the sectors is delivered through a range of activities in the following three areas:
• Events and networks – briefings, roundtables, workshops and conferences to explore latest policy and share best practice from the public, private and not-for-profit sectors;
• Talent – offering the transfer of experience and expertise to another sector through mentoring, secondments, Non-Executive appointments and charity Trustee roles;
• Leadership – developing leadership skills at all career levels in a cross-sector environment.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Engagement, the role is a unique opportunity to take responsibility for the delivery of a diverse portfolio of physically and digitally delivered events and content. The programme features senior speakers across topics such as Infrastructure, the Economy, Digital & Technology and International Affairs.
WIG delivers over 100 digital and physical events a year, tackling issues of importance to business, government and the not-for-profit sector. Our briefings, workshops, roundtables and conferences attract over 7,000 attendees annually. Delegates are able to explore and share best practice with those from other sectors and hear from and debate with first-class speakers. The Event & Content Executive will support on logistical coordination, and delivery for a significant proportion of the portfolio.
Policy Focused Events
• Briefings from Permanent Secretaries and other senior Civil Servants;
• Policy briefings on topical themes;
• Consultation-style workshops on particular policy areas;
• Briefings with an international focus from Ambassadors, senior journalists and experts;
• Webinars on a wide range of topical policy issues with academics, and private sector perspectives.
Events and written content to enable the sharing of best practice
• Peer-to-peer networks and roundtable discussions;
• Workshops and briefings to enable the sharing of best practice across the sectors;
• Income-generating events, currently encompassing two workshops and two conferences;
• Written reports based on physical and digital events;
• Collation of written commentary around major cross-sector issues.
Most of the events are free to those within our member organisations. Physical events are hosted by our members, and the majority take place in central London, although there is a growing number of events held across the UK.
All events and roundtables have been held and facilitated online since April 2020, which have significantly improved WIG's reach. This will be the case for the foreseeable future.
The Event & Content team currently consists of a Director of Strategic Engagement, two Event & Content Managers, one Senior Event & Content Executive, an Event & Content Executive and an Event & Content Assistant.
This is an ideal position for someone in the early stages of their career or looking to move into a role closely aligned in supporting cross-sector dialogue. There will be opportunity to progress for the right candidate thereafter.
The successful candidate will provide administrative support across the following areas:
• Responsible for the logistical coordination delivering around 50 physical and digital events per year;
• Ensure timely mail outs of event invitations to WIG’s membership;
• Secure and liaise with venues and hosts regarding all logistical aspects including security, catering and AV;
• Prepare materials including delegate packs, marketing material and evaluation forms;
• Manage event follow-up including collation of feedback forms and wider evaluation;
• Provide support on the day for some events delivered by other members of the Events team;
• Manage all financial aspects including invoicing for paid-for events;
• Manage delivery on the day to ensure smooth running of events;
• Occasionally manage customer/member applications to events.
• Liaise with speakers and facilitators, ensuring they are fully briefed;
• Write short reports on events for members.
Person Specification, Values and Behaviours
- Previous experience in a customer-focused office environment;
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise with high attention to detail;
- Ability to work to strict deadlines under pressure and to provide administrative support for a number of different events simultaneously;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Professional approach to working with senior internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team;
- Good IT Skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel); please note training will be provided in role for all applications and programs used;
- A strong interest in government, business and the not-for-profit sector, their interaction, and the value of cross-sector learning;
- Commitment to the principles of Equity, Diversity & Inclusion;
- Desire to get involved in wider WIG projects and activities;
- Willingness to work some additional hours, including early morning and evening events, and travel to events outside London, government guidelines permitting.
Values and Behaviours
- Embodiment of WIG Values internally and externally – Creative, Open-minded, Trusted;
- Flexibility – need for an ‘all hands to the pump’ attitude when the organisation is particularly busy.
You will have the opportunity for personal development. WIG invests in the training of its staff, and all are expected to show commitment to personal learning and professional development.
Terms of Employment and Employee Benefits
The position is available on a permanent basis. We are delighted to hear from candidates interested in both full-time and part-time working, for example a 9-day fortnight. Remote working in the first instance, this role will be based at our office near St James’s Park. We offer a flexible working space, with an environment designed for various types of work.
A salary of between £23,000 to £25,000 (dependent on skills and experience) will be payable. A suite of benefits is available to WIG employees, including an interest-free annual season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme, 5% pension contribution, a BUPA ‘Classic’ health check every two years and employee support programme. Complimentary fresh fruit & vegetables are provided in the office when it is open.
Holiday entitlement for full-time employees is 25 working days per year. Staff who have completed two years’ service are entitled to 27 working days per year.
In addition to the above entitlement, staff receive extra leave over Christmas when the office is closed.
WIG is keen to ensure that we appoint someone with the right skills, experience and commitment and is always willing to consider flexible working arrangements (including reduced hours working) for the right candidate.
- Please submit your completed Application Form and Equalities Monitoring Form (downloadable below) via the ‘Apply Now’ button above, or via email to Paige Torrance, Talent Manager – [email protected]
- If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would value a confidential discussion, please contact Paige Torrance, Talent Manager at The Whitehall & Industry Group on 020 7222 1166 or [email protected]
- The deadline for applications is midday, Monday 8 March 2021.
- First round virtual interviews will be held during the week commencing Monday 15 March 2021.
- Second round virtual interviews will be held during the week commencing Monday 22 March 2021.