Head of Marketing & Data, The Whitehall & Industry Group
The Whitehall & Industry Group (WIG), a registered charity, is an independent, not-for-profit corporate membership organisation. Our philosophy is underpinned by our values: Creative, Open-minded and Trusted.
Our charitable purpose of promoting mutual understanding between the sectors is delivered through a range of activities in the following three areas:
- Events and networks - briefings, roundtables, workshops and conferences to explore latest policy and share best practice from the public, private and not-for-profit sectors;
- Talent - offering the transfer of experience and expertise to another sector through mentoring, secondments, Non-Executive appointments and charity Trustee roles;
- Leadership - developing leadership skills at all career levels in a cross-sector environment.
Reporting to our Chief Operating Officer, this is a unique opportunity to work at the interfaces between business, government and the not-for-profit sector. The successful individual will have full responsibility for our marketing strategy and delivery, working across the organisation to enable broader and deeper engagement with existing members and membership growth. They will join at a crucial and exciting time, as WIG launches a new website, and seeks to implement a blended digital and face-to-face approach to serving our members.
With this broad remit, the successful candidate will be crucial to ensuring the delivery of WIG's 2020-2023 strategy, responsible for driving increasing customer centricity across teams, and an ambitious approach to the harnessing of data.
We are seeking an individual to join our senior team. You will have a track record in ensuring marketing activity aligns with the broader strategic organisational priorities. Commercially astute and highly member/customer and outcomes focused, you will have outstanding interpersonal skills and a level of confidence that will inspire others.
The successful individual will lead a team of 3 permanent staff - our CRM & Data Manager, Senior Digital Marketing Executive and Marketing Growth & Data Analyst. We also have the part-time support of a PR & Media Consultant.
Specific Role Responsibilities
- Align marketing strategy and activity with broader strategic priorities of the organisation and own marketing budget;
- Ensure successful launch and continued success of our new website in 2021, building its content, usage and impact, managing relationships with our website partner;
- Drive email marketing campaigns with demonstrable increase in conversion and return on investment;
- Have ownership for the maximisation of conversion rates, optimising conversion across paid-for and free funnels;
- Develop and oversee creation of marketing collateral, content and copy;
- Oversee improvement in data analytics to ensure increased engagement and income;
- Management and growth of data through CRM and marketing campaigns;
- Champion data-driven decision-making across WIG;
- Build a social presence through LinkedIn and Twitter;
- Champion Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in our external activities;
- Work with the team and PR & Media Consultant to extend our reach through media, including reputation management;
- Manage the Marketing team (including three direct reports), providing leadership, strategic direction, development, and line management.
WIG Relationship Management and other WIG Activities
- You will have personal responsibility for the relationship management of about 20 WIG members from across the public, private and not-for-profit sectors;
- Strategic-level input into pan-WIG fora such as Innovation Workstream, in addition to broader contribution to our overall strategy.
- Event attendance involving evening and early morning events.
Person Specification, Values and Behaviours
- Proven track record of building productive marketing teams, defining strategy and driving successful delivery of marketing activity and campaigns;
- Customer-centric approach, engaging both B2B and B2C stakeholders;
- Ability to gain trust and work collaboratively with a range of individuals internally, including building skills to ensure marketing best practice;
- Experience working through a range of marketing channels including, but not limited to SEO, PPC, Content and Social;
- Commercially astute, with a healthy appetite for business change and risk;
- Proven track record of managing supplier relationships;
- Experience of database growth, refresh and cleansing through automated campaigns;
- Proven ability to take a data-driven approach – including harnessing the potential of CRM;
- Experience of CRM, content management systems and e-mail marketing systems;
- Copy writing and editing skills – with a keen eye for consistency and attention to detail;
- Experience of managing budgets;
- Commitment to the principles of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion;
- Track record of motivating and developing teams;
- Desire to get involved in wider WIG projects and activities;
- Willingness to work some additional hours, including attending morning and evening events;
- A strong interest in government, business and charities, their interaction, and the value of cross-sector learning.
Values and Behaviours
- Embodiment of WIG Values internally and externally – Creative, Open-minded, Trusted;
- Flexibility – need for an ‘all hands to the pump’ attitude when the organisation is particularly busy;
- Enthusiastic, confident and self-aware;
- Excellent interpersonal skills – an adaptable style to suit different people, cultures and situations;
- Ability to work effectively on own initiative and as part of a team;
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results-oriented;
- Responsive to stakeholder needs as well as able to implement good practice and influence wider behaviours.
You will have the opportunity for personal development. WIG invests in the training of its staff, and all are expected to show commitment to personal learning and professional development.
Terms of Employment and Employee Benefits
The position is available on a permanent basis. We are delighted to hear from candidates interested in both full-time and part-time working, for example a 9-day fortnight. Remote working in the first instance, this role will be based at our recently refurbished office near St James’s Park. We offer a flexible working space, with an environment designed for various types of work.
A salary of between £50,000 to £60,000 (dependent on skills and experience) will be payable. A suite of benefits is available to WIG employees, including an interest-free annual season ticket loan, cycle to work scheme, 5% pension contribution, a BUPA ‘Classic’ health check every two years, employee support programme and complimentary fresh fruit & vegetables in the office under normal circumstances.
Holiday entitlement for full-time employees is 25 working days per year. Staff who have completed two years’ service are entitled to 27 working days per year.
In addition to the above entitlement, staff receive extra leave over Christmas when the office is closed.
WIG is keen to ensure that we appoint someone with the right skills, experience and commitment and is always willing to consider flexible working arrangements (including reduced hours working) for the right candidate.
How to apply
Please submit you completed Application Form and Equalities Monitoring Form (downloadable below) via the ‘Apply Now’ button at the top of this page or via email to Patrick Reihill - Head of Talent, The Whitehall & Industry Group - [email protected]
If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would value a confidential discussion, please contact Patrick Reihill - Head of Talent at The Whitehall & Industry Group on 020 7222 1166 or t[email protected]
The deadline for applications is midday, Monday 7 December 2020
First round virtual interviews will be held on Monday 14 and Tuesday 15 December 2020.
Second round virtual interviews will be held on Monday 21 December 2020.WIG - Head of Marketing and Data November 2020.pdf