Internal Audit Volunteer, International Students House
International Students House is seeking an Internal Audit Volunteer to ensure that its operations are conducted according to the highest standards by providing an independent, objective assurance function and by advising on best practice.
Through a systematic and disciplined approach, the Internal Audit Volunteer will assist ISH to accomplish its objectives by evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes.
About International Students House (ISH) ISH is a vibrant student centre offering accommodation, social and support services for resident and non-resident British and overseas students. In addition, International Students House encompasses commercial meeting and event spaces, a live music venue and bar, to support its charitable aims.
The tasks of the IAV will be set by the Finance and Audit Committee and will be wide ranging. The IAV will prepare an annual internal plan with input from and approval of the Finance & Audit Committee. The IAV will deliver the audit plan each year and provide reports on their findings and recommendations to management and the Committee.
The IAV will monitor progress with the actions taken to address agreed audit recommendations and report these to the Committee. To fulfil their responsibilities, the IAV may:
• Identify and assess potential risks to ISH’s operations and assess whether the existing Risk Register procedures adequately reflect these.
• Review the adequacy of controls established to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and best practice guidelines, policies, plans, procedures, and business objectives.
• Carry out efficiency assessments to assess whether ISH is achieving Value for Money (VFM).
• Carry out ad hoc appraisals, investigations, or reviews requested by the Finance & Audit Committee.
To ensure independence, the Internal Audit Volunteer (IAV) is ultimately responsible to the Chair of the Finance & Audit Committee. The Finance & Audit sub-committee meets four times a year, usually in February, May, July and December, and this is when the IAV may present reports to the committee.
Hours and Contract Period:
• The time commitment is approximately 2 days per month, working on premises and/or remotely.
• Attendance at the Finance and Audit Committee to present the Internal Audit reports will be required.
• The appointment is for a 3 year term.
• Remuneration: As a volunteer, the IAV will be entitled to a full reimbursement of expenses incurred, in line with ISH’s Employee and Volunteer Expenses Policy, plus a meal voucher for each day of volunteering.
• A background in Accounting or auditing i.e. degree in Internal Auditing, Finance, Risk Management or CCAB- qualified accountant, is required.
• A minimum of 3 – 5 years of previous Internal Audit experience including auditing financial records, policies and internal functions.
• Ideally experience in dealing and making presentation to Board members
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent research and analytical skills
• High levels of integrity and ethical standards
• A keen eye for detail to successfully scrutinise data
• In-depth knowledge of accounting software and other IT systems and software
Through a systematic and disciplined approach, the Internal Audit Volunteer will assist ISH to accomplish its objectives by evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. This is an opportunity to support and investigate the risks and best practice of a multi-faceted charity with a rich history, which may include scholarship provision, commercial income streams (accommodation, bars, events) or IT provision.
International Students House (ISH) is a residential, social and cultural centre for international and British students in central London. Visit our website for more information:
We believe every young person should have the opportunity to succeed whatever their background.
Together with our university partners and supporters, we provide:
- Scholarships opportunities
- A safe home
- A social programme to enable students to succeed while giving them a place to belong.
Our mission: To provide an affordable "home from home" for students of different nationalities and diverse cultures, supported by a substantial scholarship programme, with the opportunity to live and learn together in a safe and secure community of mutual respect, understanding and international friendship.
Independence and objectivity: To ensure independence, the Internal Audit Volunteer (IAV) is ultimately responsible to the Chair of the Finance & Audit Committee. However, the IAV should give the Senior Management Team (SMT) of ISH an opportunity to comment on any Internal Audit Reports before they are presented to the Finance & Audit sub-committee.
The Finance & Audit sub-committee meets four times a year, usually in February, May, July and December, and this is when the IVA may present reports to the committee.
Culture: The ISH team is very friendly and welcoming, and as diverse as the international students we support. We pride ourselves on being a friendly supportive organisation, with our customers and residents as well as our employees. We were re-accredited last week with the London Healthy Workplace Award, and have won awards for championing diversity for our scholarship programme, and for our accommodation provision. As well as getting back to full operations following the pandemic, a key objective for the coming year is acquisition of a new building(s), and we are in negotiations at the moment on 3 new properties and this role will assist in the ability to make confident and assured decisions going forward.
Please do contact the talent team at WIG with any questions that you have on the role or the organisation at [email protected] or alternatively call Katy Crothall on 02072274786 or email [email protected].
If you have any difficulties or would like any assistance with the application process please do give Katy a call.
Please apply with CV and covering letter by close of play 13th December.Internal Auditor International Students House candidate pack.pdf