Trustee – Social Care Experience, Avante Care & Support
Avante Care & Support is a Registered Charity supporting over 1000 older people through ten registered nursing and dementia care homes and home care services across Bexley, Greenwich, Medway, and Kent. The organisation has an income in excess of £30 million.
Avante Care & Support was established nearly 30 years ago and is well regarded in the areas it serves, has an experienced and committed workforce, and looks to make a difference through the care and support offered to individuals and to families in need of care and support. All of Avante’s activities are delivered in accordance with their vision statement: Communities where everyone has a vibrant and fulfilling life.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, developing the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document and legal & regulatory guidelines.
The organisation is seeking a new Trustee with experience of the social care sector. Avante particularly encourage applications from disabled and Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic candidates, as these groups are currently underrepresented, both on the current Avante Board and at governance-level in the broader sector.
• To ensure that Avante Care & Support (Avante) complies at all times with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations;
• To ensure that Avante effectively pursues its objects as defined in its governing document for the public benefit;
• To ensure the effectiveness of management’s financial controls, responsible management of the charity’s resources and that Avante applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects i.e., the charity must not spend money on activities that are not covered by its objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities may be;
• To develop and determine strategy, the setting of overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets, thus ensuring accountability;
• To ensure that Avante is at the forefront of new care delivery pathways and innovation.
In addition to the above duties, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. These may involve scrutinising Board and focus group papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives and other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise. All Trustees are expected to bring commitment to inclusion, diversity and the application of equal opportunities working in practice.
A Trustee is required to act reasonably and prudently in all matters relating to the charity and must always act in the best interests of Avante. As the Board is responsible and liable for the governance and functioning of the charity, they are accountable in varying degrees to a variety of stakeholders, including service users and funders.
Please submit: your CV, Covering letter setting out your motivations for applying and the added value you would bring to Avante as a Trustee (maximum 2 sides of A4) and Equalities Monitoring Form (downloadable below).
Documentation can either be submitted via the WIG website or by email to Katy Crothall, Head of Talent, via [email protected]
If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would value a confidential discussion, please contact Katy Crothall, Head of Talent, via [email protected] or on 0207 222 1166.
The deadline for applications is Midday, Friday 24 September 2021.