Trustees – Care Experience & Charity Sector Experience, Avante Care & Support
Avante Care & Support is a Registered Charity supporting over 1000 older people through ten registered nursing and dementia care homes and home care services across Bexley, Greenwich, Medway, and Kent. The organisation has an income in excess of £30 million.
Avante Care & Support was established nearly 30 years ago and is well regarded in the areas it serves, has an experienced and committed workforce, and looks to make a difference through the care and support offered to individuals and to families in need of care and support. All of Avante’s activities are delivered in accordance with their vision statement: Communities where everyone has a vibrant and fulfilling life.
The Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of the charity, developing the organisation’s aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the governing document and legal & regulatory guidelines.
Avante is seeking new Trustees – one with care experience and one with experience of the broader charity sector. Avante are particularly interested to hear from candidates with a diverse range of backgrounds and with different levels of experience.
• To ensure that Avante Care & Support (Avante) complies at all times with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations;
• To ensure that Avante effectively pursues its objects as defined in its governing document for the public benefit;
• To ensure the effectiveness of management’s financial controls, responsible management of the charity’s resources and that Avante applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects i.e., the charity must not spend money on activities that are not covered by its objects, no matter how worthwhile or charitable those activities may be;
• To develop and determine strategy, the setting of overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets, thus ensuring accountability.
- To attend Board meetings and participate in decision-making by the Board and act with reasonable care and skill;
- To be a member of Committees of the Board as required and agreed;
- To regularly evaluate the appropriateness and effectiveness of the Board;
- To ensure that the organisation’s policies are in line with current legislation and good practice;
- To approve and regularly review the organisation’s budget;
- To ensure that the organisation is structured to ensure it is financially sound;
- To ensure that all published reports adequately reflect the nature of the organisation and its financial health;
- To comply with the organisation’s conflict of interest policy;
- To appoint independent auditors and approve audited accounts.
- To develop and approve the organisation’s mission and values;
- To promote the reputation of the organisation;
- To provide the strategic leadership necessary for all staff to deliver high-quality services at all times;
- To represent the organisation at public events.
- To regularly assess the market and review and develop the organisation’s strategy;
- To agree the Annual Plan implementing the strategy;
- To review and authorise any major corporate changes to the organisation e.g. corporate amalgamations, takeovers or formal partnerships.
- To monitor and assess the organisation’s results in relation to the agreed objectives, budget and business plan.
- To maintain a robust overview of the principal risks facing the charity;
- To exercise scrutiny over the charity’s risk management systems.
Executive performance monitoring and remuneration
- To recruit and support the Managing Director;
- To monitor performance for the Managing Director and maintain an overview of Executive Team performance;
- To establish remuneration policy for the Managing Director and Executive Team.
Specific skills, Knowledge and Experience
In addition to the above duties, each Trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the Board reach sound decisions. These may involve scrutinising Board and focus group papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives and other issues in which the Trustee has special expertise.
A Trustee is required to act reasonably and prudently in all matters relating to the charity and must always act in the best interests of Avante. As the Board is responsible and liable for the governance and functioning of the charity, they are accountable in varying degrees to a variety of stakeholders, including service users and funders.
• Please submit: your CV, Covering letter setting out your motivations for applying and the added value you would bring to Avante as a Trustee (maximum 2 sides of A4) and Equalities Monitoring Form (downloadable below);Avante Care & Support WIG Recruitment Pack Care & Charity May 2020.pdf WIG Equalities Monitoring Form.docx
• Documentation can either be submitted via the WIG website using the Apply Now button above, or by email to Paige Torrance, Talent Manager via [email protected]
• If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would value a confidential discussion, please contact Paige Torrance, Talent Manager via [email protected] or on 0207 222 1166;
• The deadline for applications is Midday, Monday 22 June 2020;
• Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview in July 2020. Provision will be made for video interviewing, should circumstances require.