WIG – Events Assistant
The Whitehall & Industry Group (WIG) is an independent, not-for-profit corporate membership organisation. We believe that solutions to global, national and organisational challenges are inspired by bringing people together from across the sectors. Our philosophy is underpinned by our values: Creative, Open-Minded and Trusted.
WIG’s cross-sector membership consists of approximately 225 organisations – top FTSE and professional services companies, central government departments and agencies, local authorities, some wider public sector bodies, universities and not-for-profit organisations.
Reporting to one of the Event & Content Managers, the role is a unique opportunity to provide administrative support across a diverse portfolio. The programme features senior speakers across topics such as Brexit, the Industrial Strategy, Digital & Technology and International Affairs.
WIG delivers around 140 events a year, tackling issues of importance to both business, government and the not-for-profit sector. Our briefings, workshops, roundtables and conferences attract over 7,000 delegates annually. Delegates are able to explore and share best practice with those from other sectors and hear from and debate with first-class speakers.
Our events programme includes:
• Briefings from Permanent Secretaries and other senior Civil Servants;
• Policy briefings on topical themes;
• Consultation-style workshops on particular policy areas;
• Briefings with an international focus from Ambassadors, senior journalists and experts.
Events to enable the sharing of best practice
• Peer-to-peer networks and roundtable discussions;
• Workshops and briefings to enable the sharing of best practice across the sectors;
• Income generating events, currently encompassing two workshops and two conferences;
Most of the events are free to those within our member organisations. Hosted by our members, the majority take place in central London, although there is a growing number of events held across the UK.
The Events team currently consists of the Head of Events, two Event & Content Managers, one Senior Events Executive, one Events Executive and one Events Assistant.
This is an ideal position for someone seeking their first permanent role. There will be opportunity to progress for the right candidate thereafter
The successful candidate will provide administrative support across the following areas:
• Preparation of event materials (delegate packs, marketing materials, managing couriers, printing badges);
• Helping with logistics on the day of the event to ensure its smooth running;
• Assisting in event follow-up including collation of feedback forms;
• Ordering and maintaining stocks of event marketing materials, including updating budget spreadsheets;
• Event attendance involving evening, early morning and some events outside London, which may occasionally require travel and overnight stays.
Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and Website Administration
• General support on the CRM including updating and maintaining CRM records to ensure records are as accurate as possible;
• Helping to update the website with relevant events content when required.
Customer Service and General Administration
• Assisting in dealing with and responding to delegates’ queries regarding events and logging responses to event invitations via phone and email;
• Working across the organisation (particularly Marketing) in coordinating event collateral and digital content;
• Ensure continuous improvement of process, logistics and user experience.
Person Specification, Values & Behaviours
- Strong organisational skills and ability to prioritise with high attention to detail;
- Ability to work to strict deadlines under pressure and to provide administrative support for a number of different events simultaneously;
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills;
- Must be confident, friendly and outgoing;
- Professional approach to working with senior internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to work autonomously and as part of a team;
- Good IT Skills (Word, PowerPoint and Excel);
- A strong interest in government, business and the not-for-profit sector, their interaction, and the value of cross-sector learning;
- Desire to get involved in wider WIG projects and activities;
- Willingness to work some additional hours, including attending early morning and evening events, and travel to events outside London.
You will have the opportunity for personal development. WIG invests in the training of its staff, and all are expected to show commitment to personal learning and development.
Values & Behaviours
- Embodiment of WIG Values internally and externally – Creative, Open-Minded, Trusted;
- Flexibility – need for an ‘all hands to the pump’ attitude when the organisation is particularly busy.
You will have the opportunity for personal development. WIG invests in the training of its staff, and all are expected to show commitment to personal learning and professional development.
Terms of Employment and Employee Benefits
The position is available on a permanent, full-time basis and is based at our newly refurbished office near St James’s Park. You will be required to attend events which will take you outside your core hours in the mornings and some evenings. We do offer a discretionary ‘leave early’ option on the days where working outside core hours is necessary.
An annual salary of £21,000 will be payable. A suite of benefits is available to WIG employees, including an interest-free annual season ticket loan, 5% pension contribution, a BUPA ‘Classic’ health check every two years, employee support programme and complimentary fresh fruit in the office.
Holiday entitlement for full-time employees is 25 working days per year. Staff who have completed two years’ service are entitled to 27 working days per year. Part-time staff working fewer than five days per week will have their entitlement assessed on a pro rata basis.
In addition to the above entitlement, staff receive extra leave over Christmas when the office is closed.
WIG is keen to ensure that we appoint someone with the right skills, experience and commitment and is always willing to consider flexible working arrangements for the right candidate.
- Please apply with a CV, Equalities Monitoring Form (downloadable below) and cover letter (maximum 500 words), setting out your reasons for applying and how you meet the criteria by email to Patrick Reihill, Head of Talent - [email protected]
- If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would value a confidential discussion, please contact Patrick Reihill, Head of Talent on 0207 222 1166 or [email protected]
- The deadline for applications is midday, Monday 23 September 2019.
- First round interviews will be held week commencing Monday 30 September 2019.
- Second round interviews will be held week commencing Monday 7 October 2019. WIG Events Assistant Job Description - September 2019.pdf WIG Equalities Monitoring Form.docx