WIG – Senior Event & Content Executive
The Whitehall & Industry Group (WIG) is an independent, not-for-profit corporate membership organisation. We believe that solutions to global, national and organisational challenges are inspired by bringing people together from across the sectors.
WIG’s cross-sector membership consists of approximately 225 organisations – top FTSE and professional services companies, central government departments and agencies, local authorities, some wider public sector bodies, universities and not-for-profit organisations.
Reporting to the Head of Events, the role is a unique opportunity to take responsibility for the design and delivery of a diverse portfolio. The programme features senior speakers across topics such as Brexit, the Industrial Strategy, Digital & Technology and International Affairs.
WIG delivers around 140 events a year, tackling issues of importance to both business, government and the not-for-profit sector. Our briefings, workshops, roundtables and conferences attract over 7,000 delegates annually. Delegates are able to explore and share best practice with those from other sectors and hear from and debate with first-class speakers. The Senior Event & Content Executive will be responsible for the creation of content, logistical coordination, as well as delivery for a proportion of the portfolio, focused on specific networks and themes.
Our events programme includes:
• Briefings from Permanent Secretaries and other senior Civil Servants;
• Policy briefings on topical themes;
• Consultation-style workshops on particular policy areas;
• Briefings with an international focus from Ambassadors, senior journalists and experts.
Events to enable the sharing of best practice
• Peer-to-peer networks and roundtable discussions;
• Workshops and briefings to enable the sharing of best practice across the sectors;
• Income generating events, currently encompassing two workshops and two conferences;
Most of the events are free to those within our member organisations. Hosted by our members, the majority take place in central London, although there is a growing number of events held across the UK. The Events team currently consists of the Head of Events, one Event & Content Manager, one Senior Events & Membership Executive, one Events Executive and one Events Assistant.
• A strong interest and understanding of policy is pivotal. A desire to learn more about key issues that impact government, business and the not-for-profit sector;
• Experience of engagement activities with government, business and the not-for-profit sector;
• Excellent research and investigation skills;
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with a proven track record of liaising with senior figures across business, government and the not for profit sector;
• Some previous event content development experience;
• Knowledge of successful digital marketing practices;
• Flexibility – need for an ‘all hands to the pump’ attitude when the events and wider WIG programmes are particularly busy;
• Desire to get involved in wider WIG projects and activities;
• Willingness to work some additional hours, including attending early morning and evening events, and travel to events outside London.
You will have the opportunity for personal development. WIG invests in the training of its staff, and all are expected to show commitment to personal learning and development.
The successful individual will work across the organisation, with a focus on initiating and creating content for both free and paid for events. The role significant supports the event content development of WIG’s extensive portfolio.
Specific Role Responsibilities
- Researching and developing a series of events around specific themes and issues that impact the cross-sector membership of WIG;
- Liaising with senior figures across Whitehall, industry and the not-for-profit sector;
- Managing the creation, design and logistical delivery of around 20-30 topical and relevant events (ranging from single speakers, multi-speaker, workshops and potentially one chargeable conference);
- Securing and liaising with high-level speakers;
- Event attendance involving evening, early morning events and some regional events, which may occasionally require travel and overnight stays;
- Engaging with other WIG Teams, particularly with crosscutting areas such as Marketing and Operations.
- In addition to content creation, the Senior Event & Content Executive will be responsible for managing the delivery of their own events with the support of the Events Assistant;
- Send event marketing and invitations to WIG’s membership using the CRM system;
- Liaise with speakers and facilitators ensuring they are fully briefed, also working with venues/hosts regarding logistical aspects;
- Manage all financial aspects including invoicing for paid-for events;
- Manage delivery on the day to ensure smooth running of events;
- Oversee and sometimes manage customer/member applications to events.
WIG Relationship Management
- You will have personal responsibility for the relationship management of about 5-8 WIG members from across the public, private and not-for-profit sectors; in addition to contact with other WIG members on speaking opportunities.
Terms of employment
The position is available on a permanent basis. A salary of between £25,000 and £28,000 (dependent on skills and experience) will be payable.
• Please apply with a CV, Equalities Monitoring Form (downloadable below) and cover letter (maximum 300 words), setting out your reasons for applying and how you meet the criteria by email to Patrick Reihill, Head of Talent via [email protected]WIG Senior Event and Content Executive March 2019.pdf WIG Equalities Monitoring Form
• If you have any questions about this opportunity, or would value a confidential discussion, please contact Patrick Reihill, Head of Talent on 020 7222 1166 or [email protected]
• The deadline for applications is midday, Monday 25 March 2019
• First round interviews will be held week commencing Monday 1 April 2019.
• Second round interviews will be held week commencing Monday 8 April 2019.