Workings of Whitehall March 2022: Key players in the policy making process
A dynamic three-part seminar looking at how the Civil Service functions, how policy is made, and how businesses can engage with Whitehall.
Workings of Whitehall is a dynamic 3-part seminar delivered entirely by current and former senior civil servants, giving participants the opportunity to learn about how the Civil Service functions, who the key figures in the policymaking process are, and how business can effectively engage with Whitehall.
Participants have the opportunity to learn about how policies are made, gain an insight into the role of The Treasury, Cabinet Office and No. 10, as well as the relationship between a Special Adviser, a Minister and a Permanent Secretary, and understand how industry can effectively engage with the Civil Service.
This seminar is ideal for anyone new to working in public affairs or government engagement in the private or not-for-profit sector, individuals new to the Civil Service, and those interfacing with central government from other public bodies.
- Session 1 | Thursday 10 March, 09:45-12:30
- Session 2 | Thursday 17 March, 10:00-12:00
- Session 3 | Thursday 24 March, 10:00-12:45
Sessions will cover:
- An overview of the Civil Service, The Cabinet Office and key policymakers
- A look at the policymaking process
- A policy case study with an interactive group activity
- The role of HM Treasury
- How business engages with Whitehall
- The role of the Permanent Secretary and Special Adviser
- And more!
- Olly Newton, Executive Director, The Edge Foundation, and former Head of Apprenticeships Strategy, Department for Education
- Elena Wilson, Policy Manager, The Edge Foundation, and former Central Strategic Finance Advisor, Department for Education
- Jonathan Slater, Permanent Secretary, Department for Education (2016-2020)
- Gladys Mugugu, Senior Private Secretary, Office of the Secretary of State for Education, Department for Education, and Katherine Exelby, Private Secretary, Office of the Secretary of State for Education, Department for Education
- Giles Wilkes, former Special Adviser to Prime Minister Theresa May
- Ramneek Mahal, VP, Head of Global Corporate Government Affairs & Policy, GSK
- Alexandra Cran-McGreehin, Chief Operating Officer, The Whitehall & Industry Group, and former Head of Costing, HM Treasury
- Member early bird rate: £250 + VAT *valid until 26 January 2022
- Member standard rate: £350 + VAT
- Non-member rate: £450 + VAT